low flying

To the person flying low around Kinver and Enville at 1600 hours today,please stop flying low over live stock,sheep stablles horses main roads houses and farms, as I fly round this area and would not like to be mistaken for you. ps.blue and white wing

If you turn your engine off you are still classed as a powered glider you've just simply chosen to glide at that time you still have the means to fly under power , dispite which gliders are only exempt from the 500ft rule when ridge soaring or like any other aircraft when landing or taking off, there's no need to ignore the 500ft rule it's for our own safety as well as others

Besides.... cutting you're engine at 500ft is only going to give you between 20 to 30 seconds air time before you're on the ground.

People have to distinguish between the 500ft rule and 'common courtesy', and safety.

-The 500ft rule is mainly there to protect people on the ground, from low flying and to minimise annoyance to the public. THIS IS LAW

-Common courtesy is refraining from doing things you wouldn't like to see pilots do to you or your property... eg. flying around horses and scaring cattle/sheep, using the same field every Sunday morning at 6am and waking up the neighbours, etc....

-Safety... In the event of engine failure you need to be able to land safely. 500ft is not a magical height that allows you to do this anywhere. Generally the higher the better, you should always be positioned so that in the event of an engine failure you have the ability to glide to a safe landing point. This is why I'd generally access the conditions and terrain to choose my route carefully- and if I need to cross a forrest then adjust your height accordingly to enable a glide back to the nearest landing point. As the risk is reduced, you can lower your altitude accordingly - bearing in mind 500ft rule, etc.. Generally I only really do any low flying at my takeoff and landing field. Sooner or later you WILL have an engine failure..... in 500hrs flying I've had 3 now- all went like textbook examples and landed safely.

I can only thank 'altitude' and the fact that I had my landing plan ready for such events during the flights.- again an essential part of the initial training.

Thanks alot for the replys,

Thats completely cleared up the confused for me :) and i wasn't going to try it, might not even do low flying, was just a thought :)

Thanks

Mike

Mike once you start reading through the pilots notes I sent you the link for, all will become much clearer. :D