Flying a FF PG wing with a motor

ian5708

Hi everyone,

I'm an experienced PG instructor and commercial tandem pilot.

I'm looking to buy a paramotor and at this stage Its likely I will go for the Air conception Nitro 200 or possibly a miniplane. The fact that they are light weight and seem to be reliable is what appeals to me.

I own two solo gliders, both old but in good condition in trim with good fabric porosity. Neither have trimmers attached to the risers.

One is a 22m2 Uturn Freeforce (freestyle wing) with a 55-95kg all up certified weight range (DHV 2) which I happily fly 10-15KG over the top of the weight range when I free fly.

My XC wing is a large Nova Tattoo L, 29m2, 100-130 (DHV2) all up weight range, which is fairly fast, especially on speedbar, given that I'm at the bottom end of it flying solo.

I am 88KG naked.

I'd rather spend the money on a new paramotor and make do with a FF paraglider if I can for the time being, but my wing of choice in the future would be an Ozone Spyder 26.

My question is could I fly one both of these wings with power, safely and happily with either the AC Nitro or the Miniplane?  

I've done 3 flights with a Zenith/Moster Plus paramotor and will be doing a conversion course next month.

I've seen a video of Dell S buzzing around on a Uturn Freeforce  under power wihich shows great handling and agility but I don't know what his wing loading would have been.

Any advice from someone who has had experience of flying free flying paragliders under power would be most welcome.

Cheers

Edited by ian5708

I have flown Low ENB free flying wings on my paramotor for the last 5 years or so. 

It usually not a problem, as long as the wings have reasonable characteristics and not prone to stall etc.

At your weight the nitro200 may have more power than you need with a free flight wing, so perhaps be weary about using full power on takeoff and turning against the engine's torque.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ptwizz said:

The OP stated his weight at 88kg NAKED.

I would expect him to be well over 90kg with clothing, boots, gloves, helmet, etc.

N.B. Dell S is not a popular data source.

It took me several attempts to moderate my comment to 'not a popular data source'.

Yeah you are right on all counts.  I know that Dell is not popular with most and having recently watched a couple of his videos flying his kids without helmets and his negative viewpoint towards them,  combined with his ego and arrogance,  I have concluded that he is a metal object used to fix things with, which mechanics would keep in a box for said object. I just wanted to highlight that fact that flying with a small acro wing can be done,  I was just wondering how good it would be. 

O

Edited by ian5708