BHPA,BMA Rated instructors???

I think the BMAA have 3 instructors.

Sky School (Alex Ledger)

Fly School (Andy Walkden)

and I dont know the others,

Clive B may be able to help as he is something to do with the BMAA

Not sure about BHPA instructors but I think Airways run a course from scratch for £900 or something. (They have been teaching for many years!)

SW :D

Hi Dean, you can come down to the Isle of Wight we can do you here! If you are already a competent pilot we would need to assess your skills and knowledge and ask you to sit the exam and demonstrate a 30 km navigational cross country. This would probably take three flying days. If you are "ab-initio" you would need to undertake the full course from scratch.

If you dont need to do it before the summer I can do it for you in Somerset, or if you come to Italy with us in April we can do it there.

The first step is to register as a pilot under training with the BHPA. You get a pack including the sylabus and task list and it costs you £10 to register. PM me if you want to go ahead and I will do all I can to assist you.

In the meantime I will get that list you asked for and try and find you someone nearer.

If you want to leave it until August when I come over I will assess you there, although we may have to find somewhere "over the border " to do the assessment as I would be "training you abroad" if I did it in Donegal and that has complications if you are not a BHPA club pilot already!!

Why do they make it so hard?

Francis

Thanks for the offer, being only minutes from the border that wouldnt be a problem, I have been in contact with another pilot Gordon Dunn who flies just over the border and we should be able to come up with a few sites either side of the border if required for you guys, possibly some beach flying :D:D:D , we will keep you posted

I am thinking of going abroad and doing an intensive course there and get it done and dusted, due to the poor weather we have in the UK....only starting out...

Regards

Dean :D

Apart from being a flying-ace.... what are the pre-requisites for being a BMAA instructor?

GD

Ace status not a pre-requisite I think. Dont you know that those that can, do and those that cant, teach and those that cant teach teach teachers?

If not mistaken,

You have to be signed off by the one guy they have who can sign you off, and spend a a couple of thousand quid over in France. (which IN MY OPINION is why they only have 3 or 4 UK based instructors.)

I also looked into the BHPA route (since at the time I was a very keen BHPA member) as Francis will condfirm, and I shuddered at the amount of tasks (that all cost alot of money) and politics, involved so binned it after a few months of trying.

I had a long conversation withe the BMAA when setting up as an instructor and they said that the situation there was going to change. Lets watch this space, as I am sure that they are on the case (although not sure what the plan is).

If interested in the mean time, you need to contact Mike Campell Jones of Paramania fame as he is the man that can.

It seems as though the most popular way to learn is via an independant instructor.

Up North (in our bunch) that means Paddy's Paramotor training, or Down South Myself or Clive Bunce, (so far)

I am sure that there are more Instructors on the site who are not affiliated with the BHPA or the BMAA.

I don't want this to seem like an Anti BHPA / BMAA post, I feel as though I am answering the post with honesty. Paramotoring is a fun sport I hold that as my focus whatever I am doing to do with it, that sometines clashes but FUN is my main interest in the sport! :D

Certainly for anyone setting up in Ireland- or wishing to serve the growing Irish market, they must be BMAA or BHPA in order to sign off students for the exemption.

I'd have thought if anything the situation in the UK would get tougher rather than easier... I can say i'm rather surprised that independent instructors exist.

GD

I was just on AV8ERs website and he is claiming to offer BMAA course/qualification? Is he now a BMAA instructor?

edit

just checked and .... yes he is! good old boy. must be the third one you couldnt remember Simon!

He makes and sells the Orbiter Paramotor.

Instructor he is yes,

BUT he can not sign off new instructors, and since the question was "what are the pre-requisites for being a BMAA instructor?" I though I should point this one out for clarity.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dean, all the BHPA schools in that list are claiming to offer "power" training. So they will all be able to issue a successful trainee with the BHPA SPHG license which is recognised by the IAA.

The problem you may find is getting booked in for a "conversion" course as existing paramotorists. some may wish you to undergo the full training. If you want to organise a block training camp for your guys I can talk to my CFI and see if we can come up with a group price for you?

• 2 weeks later...
give airways a miss.

What do you mean?

Do you know something I don't?

I was taught by Airways and can find no fault with them.

A very professional outfit, I would recommend them to anyone.

One person's (unexplained) opinion?

Airways is in fact the foremost training establishment in the UK for hill, tow , ppg, hang- gliding etc etc. They train more pilots than anyone else and are run by well established, highly regarded proponents of the sport.

Glad to hear you were well served and they will be glad to hear your support of them! :D